5 Reasons to Eat Oodles of Zoodles
Did you know we can thank the Italians for cultivating the version of zucchini we currently enjoy in the form of zoodles? While it has ancestry in the Americas, the variety that we enjoy today was developed in Northern Italy and the late 19th century and likely brought to the U.S. by Italian immigrants. Buon appetito!
The zoodle helped inspire our founder to create Cece’s Veggie Co., the catalyst to a noodle-riffic array of vegetable spirals! Let’s break down the vast nutritional benefits of the zucchini, and give you even more reason to enjoy oodles of zoodles.
The zucchini is a fantastic source of a host of nutrients – let’s talk about the top 5 and why they do a body good:
- Manganese: This essential mineral promotes healthy bone tissue development and helps your produce collagen. Collagen helps your skin stay healthy (and combats physical evidence of aging!) and is essential for healing wounds.
- Vitamin C: Most of us know this one is great for boosting immunity! It’s also a powerful antioxidant, helps maintain blood pressure, and supports the cardiovascular system. Isn’t it nice to know you can expand beyond citrus to get your Vitamin C in?
- Potassium: This mineral stimulates neural activity by helping more oxygen reach the brain. It also helps stabilize blood sugar, prevent muscle cramping, boost metabolism and regulate blood pressure.
- B Vitamins: These guys are important for cognitive health, prevent fatigue, and boost metabolism. Our bodies also use them in a host of other ways to perform and feel our best!
- Fiber: Zucchini is a good source of a fiber called pectin, which is known to reduce inflammation, support your arteries and lower cholesterol naturally.
The optimal intake of zucchini to take full nutritional advantage is a cup a day, which is about half a box of Cece’s Veggie Co. spirals! According to World’s Healthiest Foods, zucchini is an excellent source of manganese, and a very good source of Vitamin C, potassium, B vitamins, and fiber. Click here to read the full nutritional profile.
So, how can you get more zucchini in your life? Cece’s Veggie Co. pre-packaged zoodles to the rescue! Here are some ideas to use zucchini noodles at any time of the day, no matter what kind of meal you are craving:
Veggie Noodle Ramen– Slurp that nutrition up with this innovative take on the ramen trend from Melissa Hehmann, RDN.
Zucchini Noodle Shrimp Scampi– all of the cheesy, noodly goodness, none of the carbs!
Vegan Pesto– celebrate #MeatlessMonday any day of the week and still pack in the protein with plant-based powder from our friends at Natural Citizen.
Zucchini Spiral Slaw– you’ll get so many nutrients from this healthy salad, you can celebrate by adding Pederson Farm’s bacon!
Zucchini Veggiccine® Shakshuka– Oh yes, zucchini for breakfast and it is fantastic. This one-skillet meal is fresh, hearty, and 100% brunch-worthy.
Whole30® Approved Italian Meatballs with Zoodles– Zucchini noodles make Whole30® a snap, and this dish from The Real Food Dietitians is to die for.
The nutrition-packed zucchini we use for our pre-packaged veggie spirals comes from organic farms like Wholesum Farms in the Southwest U.S. and Mexico. Use our noodle locator to find the zoodle purveyor nearest you!
Ready to get in the kitchen and get your zoodle on? Make sure to tag your creations with #SimpleButTwisted and show us how you noodle!